Want create site? Find Free WordPress Themes and plugins.

European Students

Community Citizen’s Registration Certificate

Citizens of a Member State of the European Union, any State that is a signatory to the Agreement on the European Economic Area or Switzerland who are going to live in the territory of the Spanish State for a period of more than three months are obliged to apply for registration with the Central Register of Foreign Nationals.

To see a list of the EU Member States and the signatory states of the Agreement on the European Economic Area, click on this link.

Students from an EU Member State or a signatory state of the Agreement on the European Economic Space must apply for Registration as an EU Citizen within three months of entering Spain.

Procedure for obtaining Registration as an EU Citizen:

  1. Documentation requested*
  • Valid, non-expired passport or national identity document.
  • Application form EX-18 duly completed and signed, in two copies.
  • IED Barcelona registration certificate
  • Documentation proving the holder has public or private health insurance (European health card with a validity that covers the period of residency and enables the holder to receive the healthcare required from a medical point of view, bearing in mind the nature of the medical care and its predicted duration).
  • Sworn statement of having sufficient resources for the time to be spent in Spain.

*Documents from other countries must be translated into Spanish or a co-official language of the area in which the application is submitted.

However, for standard European Union forms it is not necessary to translate them or legalise them in accordance with the Community regulations covering them.

On the other hand, all foreign public documents must be legalised beforehand (to obtain more information on translating and legalising documents, see the corresponding information sheet).

2) Procedure

  • Lugar de presentación: Oficina de Extranjería de la provincia donde pretenda residir o en la Comisaría de Policía correspondiente. Para obtener información de la dirección, teléfonos y horarios de atención al público de la Oficina de Extranjería se podrá consultar la página: http://www.seap.minhap.gob.es/web/servicios/extranjeria/extranjeria_ddgg.html.
  • Plazo de presentación: tres meses contados desde la fecha de entrada en España.
  • Tasa: deberá ser abonada con anterioridad a la expedición del certificado de registro.
  1. Issuing of the Registration Certificate

After the fees have been paid and the requirements checked, a Registration Certificate will be issued on the spot, showing your name, nationality, address, foreigner’s ID number (NIE) and date of registration. For more information, click on this link.

We recommend that you register with the Consulate in your country. During your stay in Spain, if you need to exercise your rights as a citizen of your home country (e.g., the right to vote) or you lose your passport, this registration will help you access this service and with the paperwork required.

For more information, click on this link.

*The contents of these pages are merely for the purposes of information; only the terms of the legislation in force at the time the application is submitted are applicable. For more information, you can consult the Immigration Portal.


IMPORTANT NOTE: Once a student has arrived in Spain, it is not possible to exchange a 180-day student visa for a multiple entry visa or long-term visa or to obtain a NIE. It is also not possible to extend the visa and/or NIE. In other words, if you apply for a Type D, 180-day visa and, due to your circumstances, you wish to remain in Spain after the end of your studies or to take another course, you must return to your own country before the visa expires and apply for a new visa from your own country. It is therefore important to pay attention to this section and, before making your application, to address any queries in this regard to the Spanish Consulate in your country of origin, bearing in mind the specific features of each centre. Visas may only be requested in the country of which you are a national or in the country of which you are a legal resident.

Frequently Asked Questions

Do student from countries in the European Union also need a visa to study in Spain?
Citizens of the European Union, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland are not required to have any permit or visa to reside, study, work or engage in these activities in Spain. If they are going to reside in Spain for over 3 months, once they are established in Barcelona, they must apply for an EU citizen’s certificate.

Can I have an internship while studying at IED Barcelona?
There are some courses that permit internships. Before applying for one, bear in mind the following points. We recommend you ask your advisor whether your course permits it or not.

  1. An internship contract is not an employment contract, and therefore non-European Community students cannot be paid. If the company wants to give you an employment contract, consult the regulations on the permits for internships while studying that can be issued by the Generalitat de Catalunya.
  2. Optional paid internships: only students from the European Union are authorised to be paid under an internship agreement.
  3. Internships in the curriculum: advanced diplomas have 6 compulsory internship credits.

Did you find apk for android? You can find new Free Android Games and apps.